Great skin begins with a great skincare routine, and having the right products is just the first step. Layering those products correctly is the key to getting the most out of your products and experiencing all the benefits they have to offer. To help, we’ve created a simple and effective natural skincare routine as a guide. Give it a try, and regardless of your skin type, you’ll be absolutely glowing.
natural skincare routine: order
- Step 1A: Oil Cleanser
- Step 1B: Second Cleanse
- Step 2: Mask or Exfoliant Optional
- Step 3: Toner or Essence
- Step 4: Serum
- Step 5: Spot and Acne Treatments If Needed
- Step 6: Eye Care
- Step 7: Moisturizer Cream or Face Oil
- Step 8: SPF Morning Only
Okay, we know, 8 steps may look like a lot at first. But trust us, this routine makes the most of your time and your products. So stick with us while we break it down for you, explain the purpose of each step, and suggest products to reach for as you go.
natural skincare routine: explained
Step 1A: Oil Cleanser
Properly washing your face with an oil-based cleanser is your best defense against the makeup, dirt, and grime of the day. (Yes, even if you have oily skin!) If you’re unsure what an oil cleanser is, check out Light Work Cleansing Oil by Pai (great for sensitive skin) or Pamplemousse Tropical Enzyme Cleansing Oil by Leahlani, which works beautifully on any skin type, including acne-prone or oily skin.
Step 1B: Second Cleanse
For most people, one cleanse just isn’t enough. A second cleanse creates a blank canvas, preparing your skin to effectively absorb the rest of your natural skincare products.
Step 2: Mask or Exfoliant Optional
We love adding this to the ritual whenever we have a little extra time. Whether we’re using the Active Enzyme Exfoliator by Josh Rosebrook to soften and renew skin or Glow Philtre by Kypris before a big event for an added glow, step two is the place to do it. Is there a concern you want to treat that a mask is ready to tackle? If so, check out our full line of masks and exfoliators in-store and online.
Step 3: Toner or Essence
This step hydrates and refreshes the skin after cleansing and exfoliating, and also prepares the skin for the serums in step four. Your skin type will help determine which toner is right for you. For oily skin, try the Citrus and Citrine Toner by Leahlani. Dry or sensitive skin? Try the Lotus and Orange Blossom BioAffinity Tonic by Pai.
Step 4: Serum
Whether your skincare concern is pigmentation or fine lines and wrinkles, a serumwill be your powerhouse product for your entire face. Massage into the skin immediately after applying toner. It’s important to apply serums to damp skin because the skin will be more receptive and permeable to the active ingredients. If you have very sensitive skin, we highly recommend doing a spot treatment or sticking with the ultra-safe and gentle skincare line, Pai(specifically, their Back to Life Hydration Serum).
Step 5: Spot or Acne Treatments If Needed
Time to tackle those pesky spots. Apply your Spotless Blemish Oil by Osmia directly to the blemish (not over the whole face). We recommend applying this before your final moisturizer, but feel free to follow product directions and do what you think your skin needs most.
Step 6: Eye Care
Although your skincare routine addresses your entire face, don’t forget to give special care to the area around the eyes. The eyes need their own attention because the skin is thinner, more delicate, and loses hydration fastest. Holi(Glow) Ageless Eye Serum by Agent Nateur is a great option for even the most sensitive skin. PRO TIP: Use your ring finger to apply eye care products; it will provide the lightest touch.
Step 7: Moisturizer Cream or Face Oil
Whether you prefer a cream or an oil, this step hydrates your skin and seals in all the goodness you applied in the previous steps. QUICK TIP: This will usually be your heaviest product.
- Cream: If you prefer a cream, give Turmeric Night Cocoon by Pura Botanicals or Puff of Love by Kypris a try. Both moisturizers are powerfully hydrating and safe for sensitive skin.
- Face Oil: If you love a good oil as we do, you can’t go wrong with the cult-classic Holi(Oil) Refining Ageless Face Serum by Agent Nateur. This face oil tackles a range of skin concerns and can be used alone or as a part of their Holi(Trinity). It works best as a moisturizer for oily skin, or it can be layered with a cream moisturizer for dryer skin.
Step 8: SPF Morning Only
Do not skip this step! It would be a shame to go through your entire skincare routine, only to leave your skin vulnerable to the sun all day. Thankfully, we have a fantastic selection of natural sun care products available. Or, combine this step with another, and use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen, like the 5-in-1 Tinted Moisturizer by Suntegrity or the Super Serum Skin Tint SPF 40 by ILIA.
natural skincare routine: more tips + tricks
- You don’t have to use every product every time.
- If your skin type leans toward oily, don’t be afraid to use an oil cleanser or an oil-based moisturizer. The use of oil helps to balance the production of sebum on oily skin.
- If your skin type is dry, skip the morning cleanse, and go straight for the toner or essence.
- Allow a few minutes to pass between layering each product. (Except between toner and serum.) This allows your skin some time to fully absorb the product.
- If you forget anything, just remember the golden rule: you usually apply products from thinnest to thickest.
Remember, this is only a guide. Enjoy the process, and make sure to tailor your natural skincare routine to you. We’re always available to consult and answer questions about what products are best for your specific skin type and concerns. Visit us at our boutique in Charlotte, North Carolina, or contact us to schedule a virtual consultation to have one of our Selenite Beauty team members walk you through the process.